Wednesday 15 May 2013

Computer Industry

Do you think the computer industry has more of a positive or negative effect on preserving global ecosystems? How can you, in your own life and use of computers and the Internet, take steps to be "green" - that is, how can you be an environmentally conscious computer user?


I think pretty much almost everything in this world that is man-made has negative effects upon “preserving” global ecosystems. True, there is a thing called ‘recycling’ but you can only go so far with that. I use my computer a lot, like everyday whether it is for homework or checking mail or to play games. It's just something I do, something that I have done for quite some time. Sure, if I was to try limit my time on the computer I would put in a lot of effort, I wouldn't say I'am addicted to the internet because there have been times where I had no access for a large amount of time and I did just fine.

I always turn my computer off when I'am done using it or I set it to sleep mode if I'm leaving for a bit then coming back to what I was doing. When I turn it off I almost always make sure that everything is off that focuses on the computer itself. There is just no point in shutting one thing off and then leaving another on. That makes no sense to me. But hey who am I to judge, I'm not perfect. Sure I do my part but there is times where I could probably be more environmentally conscious.

A big step would be to unplug the computer itself when you are away for long periods of time. I mean why keep it plugged in all day long while your away, sucking unused energy for nothing when you’re not even using it? The small things really do make a different so doing something as little as turning down the brightness of the monitor or the volume makes a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment